Here are the arts-related highlights within the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act:
Federal Arts Funding (Note: This is a supplement to the annual appropriations that these agencies receive.)
- $75 million for the National Endowment for the Arts*
- $75 million for the National Endowment for the Humanities
- $75 million for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
- $7.5 million for the Smithsonian Institution
- $25 million for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
* As is required, 40% of what the Arts Endowment receives is passed along to the state and regional arts agencies for them to distribute. In this case, $30 million has been distributed among the state arts agencies (like the WI Arts Board), and the regional arts agencies (like Arts Midwest). For more information on the Wisconsin Arts Board CARES Fund for WI's arts organizations, click here.
To read the full text of the federal CARES Act, click here.